Saturday, October 23, 2010

9:2 Repertoire

Where and When did I find this word? I found this word while reading the article "Guiding students through informational text" by Karen Wood for our 625 class.


What does it mean? The word repertoire, according to Wood means having a large stock of.
In the reading Wood says, "A viable solution to the problem of reading informational text is to give teachers a large repertoire of strategies for communicating textbook content."

Wood, K.D. (1998). Guiding students through informational texts. The Reading Teacher, 41(9), 912-920.


Level of familiarity...I am familiar with this word, but have not used it  often in conversation or in my written work.


Do I think I should know this word well, if so why? I think this is a sophisticated word that I would like to use more often in everyday conversation and in my writing pieces.


Do I think others should know this word well if so why? If one would like to sound more sophisticated or is looking to enhance ones vocabulary I think that this is a great word to use. It is simple and used often by many therefore will be easily understood and one will sound sophisticated using it.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, you have such a nice variety of words selected for your blog and this entry is no exception.

    One word though about your citations. To follow APA correctly you need to make these corrections to this entry (and similar edits to others):

    Where and When did I find this word? I found this word on page XXX while reading Karen Wood's (1998) article "Guiding students through informational text." Wood states, "A viable solution to the problem of reading informational text is to give teachers a large repertoire of strategies for communicating textbook content." (p. XXX).
    Full citation:
    Wood, K.D. (1998). Guiding students through informational texts. The Reading Teacher, 41(9), 912-920.

    What does it mean? Given the meaning of the term in Wood's article, repertoire could mean: having a large stock of. When I looked up the word online (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/repertoire) I found this definition which would be reflect Wood's use of the term: the entire stock of skills, techniques, or devices used in a particular field or occupation: a magician's repertoire.

    ReplyDelete