Tuesday, November 2, 2010

10:1 Efficacious

Where and When I found it:  While reading the article Effective Reading Instruction for Struggling Readers: The Role of Direct/Explicit Teaching by Rupley, Blair and Nichols I came across this word.

"Explict/direct instruction has been shown to be efficacious in learning and teaching the major components of the reading process..."

What it means: According to dictionary.com the word efficacious means, capable of having the desired result or effect. 


Level of familiarity: I am very familiar with the word effect, which seems to be a root word of efficacious,  and use it often in speaking and writing. Yet I have never come across the word efficacious before in any readings or in conversation.

Do I think I should know this word well, if so why? I think this is a sophisticated word that I would like to use more often in everyday conversation and in my writing pieces.


Do I think others should know this word well if so why? If one would like to sound more sophisticated or is looking to enhance ones vocabulary I think that this is a great word to use. It is simple and used often by many therefore will be easily understood and one will sound sophisticated using it.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, did you know this was related to the term "efficacy" that I was trying to remember last week in class? Check out my entry for 10:3.

    ReplyDelete