Wednesday, October 20, 2010

8:1 Scaffolding

When and where I found it: I found this word while reading the article by Clark and Graves (2005) for our 625 class. 

What it means: Scaffolding means a process that enables a child or novice to solve a problem.
Clark K. F., & Graves, M. F. (2005). Scaffolding students' comprehension of text. The Reading Teacher, 58(6), 570-580.

Level of familiarity: Being in the field of education I have heard this word numerous times, but have never seen a full definition. I did however know what the word meant in context. 

Do I want to know this word well if so why?  I absolutely want to know this word well. It is an important strategies in the field of education that helps teachers to help their students find the main idea of a reading or help them to solve problems. It is a word used often when discussing how to help student better comprehend. 

Do I think others should know this word well if so why?  Anyone in the field of education should know this word, anyone in our 625 class should also know this word. It is important in our field and it can help our students.

**The picture I added is showing another definition of scaffolding. Means: A temporary structure for holding workers while they repair or decorate a high building, (dictionary.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment