Monday, October 11, 2010

6:1 Postulate

When and Where I found it... I found this word today while watching "The big bang theory." This is obviously my favorite show where I find a lot of my words!


What it means... The word Postulate was used in context as two characters played a made-up game when the character Amy said "We postulate an alternate world that differs from ours." In this context the word postulate means to assume without proof (dictionary.com).


Level of familiarity...  I am very unfamiliar with this word. I am sure I have heard it in the past but I have definitely never used it, written or speaking. Through the context of the show I was able to pick up the definition of the word. Without the word in context I do not think that I would have known the definition.


Do I want to know this word well if so why? The word postulate would be an interesting word to know. 

Do you think that others should know this word if so WHY? If one is involved in mathematics one may want to know this word. Also it is a good word to know to expand out vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment