Saturday, October 23, 2010

9:1 Narrative

Where and When did I find it? I found this word while reading our textbook for 625 "Teaching reading in the content area" by Rachel Billmeyer and Mary Lee Barton


What does it mean? The word Narrative, according to Billmeyer means "writing in which a story is told; the details may be fictional or based on fact."



Billmeyer, R. & Barton, M.L. (1998). Teaching reading in the content areas: If not me then who? (2nd Ed.). Aurora, CO: Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory.


Level of familiarity... Narrative text are taught in early elementary school and therefore I am very familiar with the word narrative and its meaning. As a I have used this word many times while in the classroom. I have also done lessons involving narrative text.


Do I want to know this word well, if so why? As a teacher, specifically a literacy teacher reading is very important to me, genres of texts are also very important. Therefore I feel as though I should definitely know the word narrative and its meaning, so I can pass the meaning and genre on to my students.


Do I think others should know this word well, if so why? If one is a teacher I think it is important that one should know the meaning of the word narrative. Also even if someone is not a teacher but enjoys reading, they should also know the mean of narrative and be able to give examples of some.

No comments:

Post a Comment