Wednesday, December 1, 2010

11:2:Proposition

Where and when did you find this word?
I found this word in my "Teaching reading in the conten area" by billmeyer and Barton, while completing my strategy 6 assignment.
Billmeyer, R. & Barton, M.L. (1998). Teaching reading in the content areas: If not me, then who? (2nd ed.). Aurora, CO: Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory.

What does it mean?
Proposition means, "a proposal or topic presented for consideration." (dictionary.com) In my strategy 6 assignment this definition is appropriate because this is what the students would do, propose something and then try to consider or prove if it is correct or can be proven.

Level of familiarity:
I am familiary with this word, however I do not use it in speech or writing often. Maybe when I'm bribing a student to do their work I may offer them a propostion.

Do I need to know this word?
yes, I like to expand my vocabulary and I think this is definitely a commonly used word.

Do I think others should know this word well, why?
Yes, again it is a commonly used word and could definitely be used in the classroom. Especially when using the strategy that I used for my strategy 6 teachers would need to know what proposition meant.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, Remember you are now in week 13 or week 14 (depending upon how you were counting the "week"). All words posted from 11/17-12/8 need to be posted as either week 12, 13, or 14 words.

    ReplyDelete