Wednesday, September 22, 2010

4:1 Disenfranchised

When and where did I find it?  I found this word in the text book I am using for my SCAT project (Creating America; A history of the United States). The word was found in the chapter on Civil RIghts (p.822).

What it means: Disenfranchised is describing people who are deprived of the rights of citizenship, especially the right to vote.

Level of farmiliarity: I have read this word before while talking about civil rights not only in America but throughout the nation, yet it is not a word a use on a daily basis.

Do I want to know this word and why? I want to know this word to help teach my SCAT project to my students. It is an important vocabulary word when talking about the civil rights of people.

Do I think others should know this word well...if so WHO and WHY? Yes, people should know this word because it is important to know words that explain our history. They may not use this word on a day to day basis but it important to know about our countries history.

No comments:

Post a Comment